Saturday, June 4, 2011

Gone With the Wind

Sooo. I've been trying to make up for my neglience to the blog. I just saw Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell on my bookshelf. Just thought to post one about it. That book is my absolute favorite! I would re read it and re read it million of times and never tire of it! It's a love story- well sort of, between Scarlett O'Hara (just remembered not to write Johansson, the actress, haha) and Rhett Butler. Both of them were revered as one of the most popular figures in Civil War books. Many books referred them as -- I named my dog after Scarlett O'Hara. I loved the flamoyancy of the lady and her cunning manipulative skills. I'm not sure where it was from, but it popped up in my head. I didn't actually name my dog after her, which would be tacky. I wouldn't want to name a dog after her. It would tarnish her name. No, I'm kidding. Sorry about the distraction. Right, Scarlett grew up on Tara, and was raised by Ellen Robillard O'Hara and Gerald O'Hara. Ellen, a midwife, was very strict but loving with her daughters. Scarlett has two sisters- whom one of them, she stole her beau and married him. Wicked of Scarlett right? But she wanted his store. Scarlett was ambitious. She married Wade Hampton first, when she was a fresh schoolgirl of around eighteen or so. Wade died just a month later in war. Scarlett has a son, whom she ignored and treated like he was a burden.She remarried again, and had a daughter, Ella. Then, her husband died from a Ku Klux Klan meeting accident. He was shot in the head. She at that time, was thinking about Rhett Butler. He was outlandish, incredibly wealthy and he gave Scarlett beautiful clothes. Scarlett and Rhett married, then they had a daughter, Bonnie Blue Butler. A tragedy struck. The Butler-O'Hara family broke apart. But I suggest you to read it if you love historical fiction and romance. This book also won a Pulitzer Prize and is one of the Great American Novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment