Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Regency slash spy adventure!

THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE PINK CARNATION is the title. I recently read it when I was on a long car ride for vacation.
I was at the library to look for more books to borrow for vacation, and I passed by this book several times, contemplating if I should read it. Someone had recommended it to me, knowing I love reading books with Duchesses, ladies, earls and Dukes. I judged the book by its cover, (naughty me) and decided it wasn't my book. But once I read the summary on the back, I decided I would borrow it along with Lauren Willig's other two books- all of her books the library had. I did that because I hate waiting to read the next book, so I like to read straight through a series.

I thought the book was very very clever! A book in a book! Two main characters, Eloise Kelly in modern day London, and Amy Balcourt, Mlle de Balcourt, and her cousin, Jane . Eloise Kelly wanted to research on the notorious spy, The Pink Carnation and she sent a letter to all the surviving descendants of Sir Percy Blakeney and Lord Richard Selwick, seeing if they had access to the family archives. She finally got a response from Mrs. Arabella Selwick-Alderly. She finds a diary- well a journal and is drawn to the world of Amy and Jane.
Amy Balcourt wanted to find the famous and mysterious Purple Gentian, a spy who saved many french aristocrats from the turmoils and heart of the French Revolution. He was a notorious spy which Amy dreams would meet her. Amy gets caught in a web of a conspiracy by Napoleon the Emperor of France.

For readers who love a mix of Regency novels, adventure and romance, this book would be really good. Once I started to read the book, I couldn't stop turning the pages until I was on the last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment